A Successful NAIFA Washington & WAHU “Day on the Hill”
This year’s “Day on the Hill” was great with about 100 attendees. Our Lobbyist, Mel Sorensen, again, had a lineup of speakers that were stellar:
· Catherine Bailey, Director of Healthplanfinder Business
· Senator Jan Angel (R, 26th Legislative District, Majority Caucus vice Chair)
· Representative Eric Pettigrew (D, 37th Legislative District, Majority Caucus Chair)
· John Mangan, Regional Vice President, American Council of Life Insurers
· Jason McGill, Health Policy Advisor – Office of the Governor
· Grace Campbell, Regional Director, State Affairs, America’s Health Insurance Plans
· Sydney Smith Zvara, Executive Director, Association of Washington Healthcare Plans
Attendees got a chance to hear the Update on the Washington Health Benefit Exchange-Healthcare Open Enrollment, Legislative Budget and Policy Priorities for the 2015 Legislative Session, Priorities of Life Insurers and Governor Inslee’s Health Policy Objectives for the 2015 Session. The best of the morning’s session was the Q&A for the speakers. We don’t always get the answer we want but we do get our voices heard.
Again, Mel Sorensen scheduled appointments to meet with of the Leadership of the House and the Senate as well as committee chairs overseeing our industry’s interests. John Nichols, NAIFA WA President; myself as NAIFA WA Government Relations Chair; Al Pierce, WAHU President; Mark Rose, WAHU Legislative Chair joined him on these appointments.
NAIFA/WAHU leaders L-R
Al Pierce, WAHU President; Sharon Sparling, NAIFA Legislative Chair,
John Nichols, NAIFA WA President, Mel Sorensen, NAIFA WA/WAHU Lobbyist,
Mark Rose, WAHU Legislative Chair
There were several of you that wanted to have the PowerPoint from Catherine Bailey, director of the Healthplanfinder as well as the graphic she presented of the “Uninsured by County 2013 and 2014”. You will find the links below. You will also find the ‘Talking Points” message we shared with our Legislators.
WAHU/NAIFA Day on the Hill
2015 Talking Points Value of Agents
Big “Thank you” for all that attended and all that met personally with their Legislators and for making this year’s NAIFA WA / WAHU “Day on the Hill” a huge success!
Sharon L. Sparling, Government Relations Chair, (360) 708-3210; Sharon@ssparling.com